Sunday, September 7, 2008

God uses Satan?

1 Chronicles 21 begins with:

Then Satan stood up against Israel and moved David to number Israel.

I re-read it again to double-check what I just read. I moved my eyes down to see what John Macarthur has to say about this verse and help me see this verse in relation to the God of the Bible. Here is what he has to say:
"God sovereignly and permissively uses Satan to achieve his purposes. God uses Satan to
1. judge sinners (mark 4:15, 2 Corinthians 4:4)
2. refine saints (Job 1:8-2:10, Luke 22:31-32)
3. discipine the church (1 Corinthians 5:1-5, 1 Timothy 1:20)
4. purify obedient believers (2 Corinthians 12:7-10)

Neither God nor satan forced David to sin (James 1:13-15) but allowed Satan to tempt David and he chose to sin. The sin surfaced his proud heart and God dealt with him for it.

The facts:
God was angry against Israel.
God allowed Satan to tempt David.
David gave in to the temptation and sinned.
70,000 men died.

May every sin that I am faced with be fought and conquered so that Satan does not get glory nor people around me suffer as those 70,000 did.

No comments: